The Port of San Francisco is seeking a Planning Technician to assist with the development of a Geographic Information System based on the agency’s enterprise level data from many of its Divisions. Under general supervision, the Planner Technician performs a wide variety of technical planning work and GIS support functions to support to the Port’s GIS Project. Essential duties include:
• Providing project support for the development essential enterprise data layers for the Port’s Geographic Information System
• Assisting with the transition to a new GIS platform that utilizes the ESRI Local Government Information Model
• Providing general technical support to staff, such as creating and maintaining maps for the enterprise geographic information system; creating and maintaining geospatial data
• Providing GIS support to the Engineering division for the further development of enterprise GIS data, e.g., structural inspections, utilities, etc.
• Providing graphic support to Planning and Environment staff using a wide range of software.
• Accurate data entry into the fields of related tables, the creation and editing of geometric features, and the design of map layouts.
1. Possession of a high school diploma, General Education Development (G.E.D.) equivalency, or a high school proficiency certificate; AND
2a. Two years of verifiable full-time work experience in technical land use planning in a city, county, or regional planning office; OR
2b. Two years of verifiable full-time administrative support experience which included processing
public noticing for land use staff reports and environmental assessment reports and/or the permitting for land use development.
Substitution: Two years of college level coursework from an accredited college (30 semester/45 quarter units equals one year) in urban studies, urban planning, architecture, landscape architecture, geography or a related field can substitute for two years of verifiable full time work experience as described in 2a.
The Ideal Candidate
The ideal candidate will have proficiency with Windows, Excel, AutoCAD Map 3D and ArcMap and familiarity with the Adobe Creative Suite as the position requires navigation to file pathways across multiple network locations, compliance with file saving conventions, the examination, comparison and update of Excel spreadsheets/tables, the use of the GIS functionality of AutoCAD Map3D to connect to an Oracle data store in order to access and edit features, and the use of ArcMap’s symbol editing/layout creation tools. This candidate will also have experience querying data for various data sets.