Forest Service GIS Analyst / Programmer
Website The Sanborn Map Company
The Sanborn Map Company is looking to fill a Forest Service GIS Analyst / Programmer position.
Join Sanborn’s award-winning team! Sanborn is looking for a Forest Service GIS Analyst / Programmer to provide technical and analytical support developing and streamlining workflows to prepare and process spatially-explicit datasets supporting National Forest plan revisions, regional vegetation/fuels projects, One Region/One Program of Work, and other geospatial analytical support projects. This requires programming in multiple languages including Python, and R. This also requires advanced knowledge of the following software packages applications: ArcGIS, MS Access, and MS Excel. The position is located in Vallejo, CA. Minor travel to other offices may be required.
Sanborn’s client is a multifaceted government agency managing and protecting 154 national forests and 20 grasslands in 43 states and Puerto Rico. The agency’s mission is to sustain the health, diversity, and productivity of the nation’s forests and grasslands to meet the needs of present and future generations.
- Bachelor’s degree in Forestry, Ecology, Wildlife Biology, Soils, Geology, Hydrology, Geography or related degree.
- Five years of intensive and progressive experience requiring extensive use of GIS and related tools.
- Master’s degree in GIS is highly desired.
- Natural resource background
- Advanced programming in Python.
- Advanced knowledge of ArcGIS, MS Access and MS Excel.
- Proven experience developing and streamlining workflows in ArcPro.
- Experience in mobile GIS technology and applications (designing and implementing)
- Experience processing both raster and vector data.
- Knowledge and ability to work within the ArcGIS On-line environment (web maps and story maps and public facing interactive web maps)
- Proficiency in GIS Analysis and Modeling using ArcGIS, Spatial Analyst and 3D Analyst extensions.
- Experience developing presentations that communicate analytical processes and results.
- Experience developing cartographic products using ArcPro.
- Experience presenting project/research results to a live audience, in person or online.
- Experience writing technical reports.
- Analytical techniques for modeling and assessing dynamic ecological communities.
- Work-related experience pertaining to natural resource management
- Python programming to compile datasets for natural resource data and pull corporate data from EDW
- Automation, using python, of multi-scale (i.e. ecoregion subsection, forest and bioregional scale) analysis of bioclimatic, vegetation, wildlife and other natural resource data. In addition, multi-scale summarization of socio-economic data shall also be required.
- The development of raster surfaces and lists from supplemental data shall be required to produce inputs for modeling ecosystem dynamics, disturbance regimes and other vegetation analytics.
- Develop cartographic products and perform live on-screen presentations to show FS personnel and the public how data sets were created, how to interpret the resultant outputs and present preliminary summary statistics.
- Maintain project information in tracking spreadsheets
- Develop validation data sets to evaluate the accuracy of mapped vegetation attributes
- Generate map products that are legible, consistent, and compliant with 508 policy
- Create internal ArcGIS Online web maps and story maps as well as public facing interactive web maps in coordination with data contributions from each forest
- Attend meetings and provide supporting map products and explanations to assist with decision making and data exploration
- Conduct quality control and implement geospatial data management best practices
- Design and implement mobile GIS technology and applications using Survey123, Collector, Explorer and/or Navigator.
- Develop data, map products, and workflows for ArcGIS Pro
- Oral and written communication with FS staff regarding how datasets were generated or what underlying assumptions are implicit in hypothesis tests
- Create a knowledge transfer plan to coordinate ongoing work with government employees or other designated parties. This includes identifying and documenting: project management processes, points of contact, location of technical and project management documentation, status of ongoing technical initiatives, key personnel, and identifying pending actions required of the Government
- Additional project work may be assigned due to changing Regional priorities.
To apply for this job please visit www.sanborn.com.