Geographic Systems Specialist I/II – Public Works Department
Website City of San Jose
Geographic Systems Specialist I/II – Public Works Department – (1801575)
About the Department The City of San José, the Capital of Silicon Valley, is one of the nation’s best managed cities and one of the top ten cities in which to live, work, and do business. Moreover, San José is the center of cultural, government and economic activity for the region. The employees of the City of San José have embraced the following values: Integrity, Innovation, Excellence, Collaboration, Respect, and Celebration. The Department of Public Works is seeking an individual whose values align with the values of the City’s employees.
The Department of Public Works is responsible for delivering capital improvement projects for a wide variety of City facilities and infrastructure, maintaining City facilities and fleet assets, facilitating, and regulating development activities, and providing animal care and services. The Department is committed to high-quality service, and partnering with the community, and providing an excellent environment in which to work.
Positions & Duties
Geographic Information Systems Specialist I $58,468.80 – $71,219.20
Geographic Information Systems Specialist II $71,427.20 – $87,027.20
In addition to the starting salary, employees in the Geographic Information Systems Specialist I/II classification shall also receive an approximate five percent (5%) ongoing non-pensionable pay.
The Department of Public Works Technology Services Division is recruiting to fill multiple Geographic Information Systems Specialist I/II (GISS I/II) positions to support ongoing activities to maintain and enhance GIS production services and activities to develop technology solutions that will maximize the delivery of City products and services. The individuals selected for these positions will work primarily in the production group of the GIS Team. Under the direction of a Senior Geographic Information Systems Specialist, the incumbents will perform the key responsibilities listed below:
· Interpret recorded engineering plans to enter graphic and attribute data into GIS while maintaining data integrity
· Use SQL queries to produce weekly reports on the status of plans and other documents received.
· Utilize Geographic Information System (GIS) and associated software to produce, display, and analyze geographic information. Create and maintain GIS layers using ArcMap or ArcGIS Pro from resources such as engineering plans, assessor’s maps, and discrepancy reports. Respond to user requests for GIS data and other information following City protocol and using GIS tools such as FME and automated scripts for data conversion.
· Respond to requests for GIS analysis using various analysis tools, charts, graphs, reports, infographics, and presentations as directed.
· Assist with troubleshooting problems encountered in GIS production work including QA/QC.
· Develop workflows and documentation for various GIS tasks.
· Develop GIS products such as maps and other geospatial products as required.
· Develop and/or modify GIS databases, software, and scripts.
· Coordinate intern training and work assignments.
· Develop ETL workflows in FME or other ETL tools.
This recruitment may be used to fill multiple positions in this, or other divisions or departments. If you are interested in employment in this classification, you should apply to ensure you are considered for additional opportunities that may utilize the applicants from this recruitment.
1. Education and Experience:
– GSS I: A Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university in Geographic Information Systems, Engineering, Computer Science, Management Information Systems, Mathematics, Physical Science, Geography, Urban Planning, or closely related field.
– GSS II: A Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university in Geographic Information Systems, Engineering, Computer Science, Management Information Systems, Mathematics, Physical Science, Geography, Urban Planning, or closely related field. AND one (1) year of increasingly responsible professional experience in geographic information systems or transportation planning.
Acceptable substitution for GSS II: Possession of a valid GIS or GISP certificate from a certifying body acceptable to the City of San Jose may be substituted for the one (1) year of experience in computer programming, geographic information systems or transportation planning.
2. Employment Eligibility: Federal law requires all employees to provide verification of their eligibility to work in this country. Please be informed that the City of San Jose will not prepare or file a labor condition application with the Dept. of Labor.
The ideal candidate will possess the following competencies, as demonstrated in past and current employment history. Desirable competencies for this position include:
Job Expertise – demonstrates knowledge of and experience with applicable GIS professional/technical principles and practices, Citywide and departmental procedures/policies and federal and state rules and regulations. Is proficient with GIS software such as ArcGIS Desktop Suite, ArcGIS Server, and ArcGIS Online and capable of preparing maps, reports, spreadsheets, graphical presentations and performing GIS analysis in the professional setting.
Reliability – completes quality work assignments in a timely and efficient manner; fulfills responsibilities and maintains confidentiality as appropriate.
Analytical Thinking – approaches a situation or problem by defining the problem or issue; identifies a set of features, parameters, or considerations to take into account, collects and analyzes data, uses logic and intuition to arrive at conclusions and recommendations.
Communication Skills – communicates and listens effectively and responds in a timely, effective, positive, and respectful manner; written reports and correspondence are accurate, complete, current; well-organized, legible, concise, neat, and in proper grammatical form.
Customer Service – demonstrates the ability to anticipate customers’ needs and deliver services effectively and efficiently in a timely, accurate, respectful, and friendly manner.
Creativity – responds to problems and situations with innovative solutions. Shows openness to new information and approaches. Genuinely excited and enthusiastic about learning and pushing technical limits and finding new solutions
Problem Solving – approaches a situation or problem by defining the problem or issue; determines the significance of problem(s); collects information; uses logic and intuition to arrive at decisions or solutions to problems that achieve the desired outcome.
Team Work & Interpersonal Skills – develops effective relationships with co-workers and supervisors by helping others accomplish tasks and using collaboration and conflict resolution skills.
Vision/Strategic Thinking – support, promote, and ensure alignment with the organization’s vision and values. Understand how an organization must change in light of internal and external trends and influences. Builds a shared vision with others and influence others to translate vision to action.
The selection process will consist of an evaluation of the applicant’s training and experience based on the application and responses to the Job Specific Questions. Only the candidates whose backgrounds best match the position will be invited to proceed in the selection process. Additional phases of the selection process will consist of one or more interviews, one of which may include a practical/writing exercise.
You will be prompted to answer the following job-specific questions during the online application process. You must answer all job-specific questions in order to be considered for this vacancy or your application will be deemed incomplete and withheld from further consideration. Please note that there is a 4,000-character limit, including spaces, for each text response.
Please attach your resume as part of your application submittal.
1. Do you have knowledge and experience working on GIS projects? If yes, please describe your experience, including the technical challenges, project scope, technologies used, and your role and responsibilities.
3. Do you have experiences advanced analysis using ArcGIS Desktop or ArcGIS Pro? Please explain the scope of your analysis and what problem did it help address.
4. Do you have work-related experience with (a) with another individual and (b) in a team to attain a common goal? If so, please describe your experience and your roles. What were the outcomes?
If you have questions about the duties of these positions, the selection or hiring processes, please contact Gladys Ho via email at Gladys.Ho@sanjoseca.gov.
Additional Information Link to Benefits: http://www.sanjoseca.gov/index.aspx?NID=707
Link to Department: http://www.sanjoseca.gov/index.aspx?NID=208
The application deadline is 11:59 PM on October 9, 2018. Please allow adequate time to complete the application and submit before the deadline or the system may not save your application. If your online application was successfully submitted, you will receive an automatic confirmation email to the email address you provided. IF YOU DO NOT RECEIVE THE CONFIRMATION, please email CityCareers@sanjoseca.gov and we will research the status of your application. Please contact Human Resources at (408) 535-1285, or Human.Resources@sanjoseca.gov if you have any questions.
: Information Technology
: Sep 21, 2018, 5:01:55 PM
Bargaining Unit 1: Municipal Employees’ Federation
: Oct 9, 2018, 11:59:00 PM
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org