Supervising Applications Analyst
Website City of San Jose - Public Works Department
Capital of Silicon Valley
About the Department
The City of San José, the Capital of Silicon Valley, is one of the nation’s best managed cities and one of the top ten cities in which to live, work, and do business. Moreover, San José is the center of cultural, government and economic activity for the region. The employees of the City of San José have embraced the following values: Integrity, Innovation, Excellence, Collaboration, Respect and Celebration. The City’s Public Works Department is seeking an individual whose values align with the values of the City’s employees.
The Department of Public Works is responsible for delivering capital improvement projects for a wide variety of City facilities and infrastructure, maintaining City facilities and fleet assets, facilitating and regulating development activities, and providing animal care and services. The Department is committed to high-quality service, partnering with the community, and providing an excellent environment in which to work.
Positions & Duties
The Department of Public Works is seeking qualified candidates to fill the Enterprise GIS Manager position as a member of the Technology Services Division. This position is a senior level technical manager who is responsible for overseeing and managing the day-to-day Enterprise GIS services and planning. This position will also be leading large scale enterprise projects as well as leading technical engineers.
The position requires strong technical experience, leadership and managerial skills as well as the ability to take initiative and direct others. We are seeking an individual with a willingness to adapt to a changing business and technical environment. The ideal candidate must be able to take full ownership of projects to completion and beyond by providing awareness and visibility from standard GIS best practices for operations perspective to the rest of the organization. The position demands a proven ability to troubleshoot and resolve complex technical issues with limited resources. A team leader, team player, and positive attitude are essential to this position.
The GIS Manager will report to a Division Manager. This position will be responsible for programming that supports the development and maintenance of major applications used by the Department of Public Works and city-wide operations.
The GIS Manager is responsible for keeping the environment capable of all the dependent data management and application integrations. The Enterprise GIS environment is becoming increasingly centralized in the data housing and license management. The enterprise GIS environment is developed based on the Esri ArcGIS software stack and SQL Server database version. The City has assumed Esri’s Local Government Information Model (LGIM) as its standard. All GIS datasets are migrating toward that model.
Key responsibilities and duties within the work group in Public Works is to provide programming, coordination, management, and leadership to support the development and maintenance of GIS enterprise systems and may include but are not limited to:
a. Advocate for the effective and efficient use of City geospatial resources
b. Plan, organize, and guide the City’s GIS program by developing GIS strategies
c. Improve City service delivery by geographically enabling business systems
d. Work collaboratively with departments to define roles, negotiate agreements, reduce program redundancies, and develop an enterprise funding model
e. Support the City’s Open Data Policy by developing policies and strategies to geo-enable the City’s open data platform
f. Develop regional relationships towards the mutual goal of increased geospatial knowledge and availability
This recruitment may be used to fill multiple positions in this, or other divisions or departments. If you are interested in employment in this classification, you should apply to ensure you are considered for additional opportunities that may utilize the applicants from this recruitment.
The starting salary for this position is $110,822.40 with the actual salary determined by the final candidate’s qualifications and experience. In addition to the starting salary, employees in the Supervising Applications Analyst classification shall also receive an approximate five percent (5%) ongoing non-pensionable compensation increase.
1. Education: Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university in a relevant field.
2. Experience: Five (5) years of increasingly responsible professional level experience in computer applications, systems, networks, or telecommunications work, of which two (2) years include the responsibility for the development, implementation, and maintenance of major communications or computer systems.
3. Acceptable Substitutions: Additional years of increasingly responsible directly related work experience may be substituted for education on a year-for-year basis. Completion of a Master’s Degree in a relevant field from an accredited college or university may be substituted for one year of the required two (2) years of experience include the responsibility for the development, implementation, and maintenance of major communications or computer systems.
Employment Eligibility: Federal law requires all employees to provide verification of their eligibility to work in this country. Please be informed that the City of San Jose will not prepare or file a labor condition application with the Dept. of Labor.
The ideal candidate will possess the following competencies, as demonstrated in past and current employment history. Desirable competencies for this position include:
Job Expertise: Demonstrates hands-on experience in architecture designing, implementing, managing, and troubleshooting for at least one of the following technologies in an enterprise infrastructure:
Esri ArcGIS Server
SQL Database 2016
Microsoft Windows Server 2012
– Proven ability and experience to lead large in scale to complex in scope enterprise technical projects.
– Hands-on experience troubleshooting GIS desktop and server configuration and performance issues.
– Experience developing and implementing a GIS governance model to support an enterprise GIS.
– Documents and establishes policies and procedures for GIS technologies including servers, workstations, storage, server virtualization, GIS data security, web based maps, and service.
– Plans GIS strategy, which includes equipment replacement and a 5-year roadmap.
– Demonstrate knowledge of and experience with applicable professional/technical principles and practices of application management, Citywide and departmental procedures/policies and federal and state rules and regulations
Team Work & Interpersonal Skills: Demonstrates a positive attitude and flexibility along with the ability to develop effective relationships with co-workers and supervisors by helping others accomplish tasks and using collaboration and conflict resolution skills.
Leadership: Leads by examples; demonstrates high ethical standards; remains visible and approachable and interacts with others on a regular basis; promotes a cooperative work environment, allowing others to learn from mistakes; provides motivational supports and direction.
Decision Making: Identifies and understands issues, problems, and opportunities; uses effective approaches for choosing a course of action or developing appropriate solutions.
Vision/Strategic Thinking: Supports, promotes, and ensures alignment with the organization’s visions and values; understands how an organization must change in light of internal and external trends and influences; builds a shared vision with others and influences others to translate vision to action.
Communication: Effectively conveys information and expresses thoughts and facts clearly both orally and in writing; demonstrates effective use of listening skills; displays openness to other people’s ideas and thoughts. Excellent written and verbal communication skills including presentation skills.
Conflict Management: Uses appropriate interpersonal styles and methods to reduce tension or conflict between two or more people, by presenting the facts, analysis, and conclusions or solutions that show command of content and perspectives and interests of the audience.
The selection process will consist of an evaluation of the applicant’s training and experience based on the application and responses to the Job Specific Questions. Only the candidates whose backgrounds best match the position will be invited to proceed in the selection process. Additional phases of the selection process will consist of one or more interviews, one of which may include a practical/writing exercise.
You will be prompted to answer the following job-specific questions during the online application process. Please note that there is a 4,000-character limit, including spaces, for each text response.
1. Do you possess a Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university in a relevant field AND five (5) years of increasingly responsible professional/level experience in computer applications, systems, networks, or telecommunications works, of which at least two (2) years include the responsibility for the development, implementation, and maintenance of major communications or computer systems?
2. Describe your professional level experience in computer applications, systems, networks, or telecommunications work, of which two (2) years include the responsibility for the development, implementation, and maintenance of major communications or computer systems. Indicate the number of years and where you obtained this experience.
3. Please select one (1) technology from the list below that you have in-depth hands-on technical experience, which would enable your success in a senior manager role leading a technical team and delivering enterprise GIS services:
a. Esri ArcGIS Server 10.6x
b. Esri LGIM
c. Microsoft SQL Server Database 2016
d. Microsoft Windows Server 2012 R2
e. FME Server
4. From the technology you selected in the previous question, please describe your hands-on experience in system management.
If you have questions about the duties of this position, the selection or hiring processes, please contact Colin Braslin at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Additional Information Benefits: http://www.sanjoseca.gov/index.aspx?NID=707
The application deadline is 11:59 PM on 4/9/2019. Please allow adequate time to complete the application and submit before the deadline or the system may not save your application. If your online application was successfully submitted, you will receive an automatic confirmation email to the email address you provided. IF YOU DO NOT RECEIVE THE CONFIRMATION, please email CityCareers@sanjoseca.gov and we will research the status of your application. Please contact Human Resources at (408) 535-1285, or Human.Resources@sanjoseca.gov if you have any questions.
: Information Technology
: Mar 26, 2019, 8:39:19 AM
Bargaining Unit 1: City Association of Management Personnel
To apply for this job please visit sanjoseca.taleo.net.